Surveyed Resources /Washburne District / National Register / Historic Sites and Buildings
City Landmark Inventory
The following properties are currently on the City of Springfield’s Landmark Inventory:
Ebbert Memorial United Methodist - 532 “C” Street
Built - 1916
Date Listed - 1981 (Resolution #81-91)
This is a brick veneered, two-story wood frame structure. Designed by Lebanon architect Albert I. Crandal in the Richardsonian Romanesque Style, it was built by T. J. McCracken of Springfield. It was named in commemoration of early settler James A. Ebbert by his niece, Margaret Adaline Morris, who donated $15,000 for the construction of the building and its parsonage. This building is the oldest church in the City of Springfield and features an extensive collection of stained glass windows by the Povey Brothers Glass Co. of Portland.
McKlin House - 606 “D” Street
Built - 1912
Date Listed - 1983 (Resolution #83-230)
this residence is an excellent example of the Bungalow style as it developed in the Northwest. The house was designed by Merton McKlin, a prominent builder in the Springfield area who built several homes including 626 F Street and 448 Fifth Street and the IOOF building on Main Street. McKlin settled in Springfield at the turn of the century from Minnesota. He built the house for his wife, Civility. The McKlin's celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary in the house and lived there until they both died at the age of 92.
Springfield General Hospital - 846 “F” Street
Built - 1914
Date Listed - 1983 (Resolution #83-24)
The Pollard House Apartments was originally known as the Springfield General Hospital. The hospital was built in 1914 and served the community well in the 1920's. It served a vital role in the 1918 Spanish Influenza Epidemic when half a million people died nationwide. Though it is unclear when it was closed, taxes were paid through 1928. It remained empty for two decades during the Depression. It was resold in 1944 and converted into apartments. The building design was strongly influenced by the Bungalow style. The main feature of this building is the full width porches. A long corridor stretches down the length of each floor separating its interior into 8 units. Most of original floors and walls remain intact. The Pollard name came from a long time and noted doctor of Springfield, Dr. W.H. Pollard, who practiced prior to, after and during the years that the building was known as the hospital. This building is probably the last wooden structure remaining in Lane County that was used as a hospital in the early 1900's. A small building called the Pest House is located a few doors down. It housed patients that had communicable diseases.
Stevens & Perkins Building - 330 Main Street
Built - 1911
Date Listed - 1981 (Resolution #81-20)
The building was built by Welby Stevens and A.J. Perkins. Records indicate that it may have been constructed by George W. Perkins, A.J.'s brother, who was known as a Springfield contractor. The building contributed to the development of Main Street as a major commercial district. The building is two stories and is built with tan-colored common bond brick. In 1912, the building had three stores occupying it. A grocery was on the right side and a clothing store was located on the left. The central section was occupied by a store called "The Racket" which sold notions, glassware, writing materials, and some clothing. At other times the building was used as a dance hall, a 5 and 10 cent store, the newspaper office, furniture store, and auto parts store. Mr. Stevens served as the Mayor of Springfield, and he appointed the first library board in 1908. Mr. Perkins owned many properties and worked in real estate and banking.
I.O.O.F. Building - 342-346 Main Street
Built - 1907
Date Listed - 1981 (Resolution #81-19)
In 1881, the I.O.O.F., a fraternal organization, established Springfield Lodge #70. The construction of the lodge in 1907 marked the first building of modern urban character in Springfield. John Hunzicker, a notable Northwest architect, designed the structure. Contractor T.W. Stewart was hired to construct the building for $10,995. While the I.O.O.F. continues to occupy the second floor, there have been a variety of businesses on the first floor. In 1912, there was a general merchandise store in the building. There has also been a men's clothing store, doctor's offices, the Springfield News, City Department of Public Works, and a grocery store run by the Larimers. The building is constructed of stucco faced brick with classical detailing. The building can be described as Renaissance revival with perhaps some Spanish Mission style influence.
Pacific Power and Light Building - 590  Main Street
Built - 1908
Date Listed - 1980 (Resolution #80-165)
This property wsa bought from W.M. Sutton in January 1911 for $3,500. This building originally housed the Oregon Power Company distribution substation that supplied electric power to Springfield. The original design also stands in Albany. The electric powe was generated by steam-driven turbines in a power plant across the railroad tracks. The company was taken over by Mountain States Power Company and then Pacific Power and Light. The substation possesses a unique architectural character for the City. The building is constructed of brick which was quite unique in the City at that time. The exterior still exhibits the cornice and window details of careful craftsmanship. The second floor displays remnants of the early transformers. It is believed that the electric power from this substation first served the Booth-Kelly mills. It is now being used as the Springfield Museum.
Stewart House - 214 Pioneer Parkway West [formerly 2nd Street]
Built - 1906
Date Listed -1980 (Resolution #80-145)
The Harry Stewart house lies on the site of the original Elias Briggs land claim and right next to the original spring. Joseph Stewart arrived shortly after the Briggs and and obtained the land from Mr. Briggs including the spring. Joseph Stewart operated a general store on Mill Street which was the downtown center in the early days. Joseph's son, Harry built his residence on the Stewart property right next to the spring. Edgar Collins, a builder in Springfield, built the house. It was originally red with green trim.
Thurston Grange [Community] Hall - 6590 Thurston Road [also known as 1345 N. 66th Street]
Built - 1912
Date Listed - 1981 (Resolution #81-90)
The community of Thurston came together to build the meeting hall for social functions. The lumber was cut and logged by Roy Edmiston and the building designed by Morris Brown. It was one of the first buildings in Oregon to have an arched ceiling in “Quonset hut” style. The exterior is made of shiplap siding and a shingle roof. Approximately 40 towns people helped build the hall. In 1936 the citizens of Thurston elected the use the building as a grange (Thurston Grange #853) and to become members of the “Patrons of Husbandry” which is a fraternal organization for farmers. Thurston was named after George H. Thurston a pioneer settler. The building is still being used for social functions.
Douglas House - 3362 Osage
Built - 1908
Date Listed - 1980 (Resolution #80-1440)
The history of the Douglas house began when Mr. Douglas and his wife moved from California to Oregon to begin a farm. Mr. Douglas bought the land where the house stands. The original purchase was over 1400 acres. Mr. Douglas was one of the first farmers in Springfield and owned one of the largest dairy farms in the valley. He was one of the founder of the Lane County Fair. The house was built after a smaller house was moved across the street. The house is designed by John Hunzicker, and important architect in the area. The structure of the house includes a variety of styles. The first floor uses a Federal style porch. The second story is Italianate Revival. The third story contains a Palladian window with detailed panes.
Southern Pacific Railroad Depot - 101 South A Street
Built - 1891
Date Listed - 1979 (Resolution #79-21)
The depot was built six years after Springfield itself was founded in 1885. The Springfield Depot was constructed in "Southern Pacific Standard Plan #22" and on land that was donated by the Springfield Investment and Power Company. This was a short line from Dundee to Coburg to terminate in Springfield. Springfield had been anxiously awaiting the railroad for 20 years. This style has been referred to as Victorian/stick style, Queen Anne style, and also as Chalet style. It is considered one of the more elaborate Southern Pacific designs of the nineteenth century. While somebody might think the design elaborate, the station represented practical architecture. It was built long and narrow so it would fit between two sets of tracks. The second story also served as the living quarters for the stationmaster and his family. The freight house is believed to have been added in 1910 or 1911. The depot is the only commercial structure of its type in Springfield and the oldest depot of its type in Oregon. The former railroad station took a long road to get to where it currently stands. Southern Pacific sent its last passenger train to the Springfield station in 1965, then completely closed operations in 1983. During the next five years the building began to fall into disrepair. The city purchased the aging building in 1988 and then moved it from South Seventh Street to its current location in September 1989. After a period of restoration, the Chamber of Commerce in 1990 became the first organization to inhabit the building in nearly a decade.
Brattain-Hadley House - 1260 Main Street
Built - 1893
Date Listed - 1980 (Resolution # 80-166)
The house rests on a donation land claim of 160 acres granted to Paul Brattain on December 29, 1866. Paul Brattain was elected as Lane County's first auditor and to the combined positions of County Clerk and Recorder until July 1, 1859. The first plot of Springfield was signed by Mr. Brattain in 1856. Paul Brattain died in 1883. The first structure on the site was a log cabin built with a lean-to that may have been hand-hewn. Charles Scott sketched the cabin just before the new house was built. The Hadley house was representative example of the Queen Anne style of construction. John B. Innis was the master carpenter. The house burned in 1997. The landscape was once all farmland and is now reduced to the immediate area of the house. Many of the original planting remain. The seed of the black walnut tree in the yard is believed to have come from Iowa with Paul Brattain. He planed the seed in the 1860s. Each of the pioneer children had their own tree named after them. The big fir Millie is also still standing. The yard represents an early garden with mock orange, hawthorne, hickory, old roses, flax, iris, a carpet of violets, and ivy.